Recorder of Deeds
Official Name: Danyelle Baker, Bates County Recorder of Deeds
Bates County Administration Building
103 W Dakota, Room 3
Butler, MO 64730
Employees: Stephanie Austin- Chief Deputy
Robin Kuhns- Deputy
Online search is available!
To search online, please visit batesmo.icounty.com
- You will have to register with icounty
- You can contact icounty at 816-295-1540
|Duties of the Recorder of Deeds:|
|●The Recorder of Deeds Office is a place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept in a permanent file. This is where land records are kept. Bates County land records start in 1840.
●The Recorder of Deeds Office takes marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage. Bates County marriage records start in 1860.
●The Recorder’s Office records surveys and plats of subdivisions.
●The Recorder’s Office records and files copies of Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. This is a free service.
●Federal and state tax liens are filed in the Recorders Office.
●The Recorder’s Office DOES NOT perform lien searches, title searches or land research.
FIRST PAGE DESIGNATIONS
*Every document (except plats and surveys) containing any of the following items shall have such information on the first page of the document below the 3″ margin:
1. Title of the document
2. Date of the document
3. All grantors’ names
4. All grantees’ names
5. Any statutory addresses
6. Legal Description –may be referenced to page legal located
7. Reference book and pages if required
*A cover page for the document is not required, but a filer may choose to present a cover page and it will recorded as the first page of the document. The cover page must have the top 3″ margin and include first page designations.
*If a document is presented for re-recording, in addition to all other requirements, there must be a new first page or cover sheet with the top 3″ and the required first page designations.
EXEMPT DOCUMENTS FROM THE FORMATTING REQUIREMENTS
*Documents signed prior to January 1, 2002
*Military separation papers
*Documents executed outside the United States
*Certified copies of documents, including birth and death certificates
*Any document where one of the original parties is deceased or incapacitated
*Judgments or other documents formatted to meet court requirements
*Fixtures Filings on the National Approved UCC Forms.
|*Standard||Document that meet both the statutory requirements and formatting standards will have only the per page recording fee schedule applied.|
|*Non-Standard||Documents that meet the statutory requirements, but do not meet the formatting standards will have the per page recording fee plus an additional $25.00 per document penalty applied.|
|*Exempt||Documents that meet the statutory requirements, but are exempt from the formatting standards will have only the per page recording fee schedule applied.|
All documents that are rejected must be returned with a reason for rejection.
APPLICATION FOR MARRIAGE LICENSE
PLEASE NOTE: License is issued same day of application. Once the license is issued, it is good for thirty (30) days–you have thirty (30) days to use it. The license can be used anywhere in the state of Missouri.
Effective August 28, 2018, judge cannot issue an order for marriage; parental consent required for 16 and 17 year olds; no one of the age of 16 or 17 can marry anyone 21 or older.
REQUIREMENTS IF BOTH BRIDE AND GROOM ARE OVER THE AGE OF 18
1. Both bride and groom must apply in person at the Recorder’s Office.
2. Both must show picture ID.
3. If either party has been married before, must know the date of death of spouse or date of dissolution of the marriage.
4. Payment of $48 cash only (non-refundable) must be made at time of application.
REQUIREMENTS IF BRIDE AND/OR GROOM IS 16 OR 17
1. Both bride and groom must apply in person at the Recorder’s office.
2. Custodial parent or legal guardian of minor must be present at the same time to sign consent.
3. Bride and groom must have birth certificate to show date of birth and name of parents.
4. Custodial parent must have picture identification. If names do not match birth certificate, must have copy of Decree or Letters of Guardianship.
5. If either party has been married before, must know the date of death of spouse or date of dissolution of the marriage.
6. Payment of $48 cash only (non-refundable) must be made at time of application.
7. No license can be issued to a 16 or 17 year old marrying anyone over the age of 20.
|Fee Schedule for Non-Charter Counties
EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2003
|Standard Document Fee|
|~ First Page||$24.00|
|~ Each Additional Page||$3.00|
|~ Non Standard Document Fee||$25.00|
|~ First Page (18″x24″)||$44.00|
|~ Each Additional Page||$25.00|
|~ First Page (24″x36″)||$69.00|
|~ Each Additional Page||$50|
|~ First Page (18″x24″)||$24.00|
|~ Each Additional Page||$5.00|
|~ First Page (24″x36″)||$29.00|
|~ Each Additional Page||$5.00|
|COPIES: Per page||$1.00|
|Certified Copies: Per page, plus $1 for Certificate||$1.00|
|MARRIAGE LICENSE:||$48.00-includes certified copy|
|CERTIFIED COPY OF MARRIAGE LICENSE:||$9.00|
|NOTICE OF TAX LIENS:|
|~ Federal Tax Liens||$9.00|
|~ Federal Tax Discharges||$7.50|
|~ StateTax Liens||$3.00|
|~ StateTax Discharges||$1.50|